The Innovation & Investment Division carries policy and delivery management responsibility for enterprise, innovation, research and development, intellectual property and North/South activities delivered through multiple agencies as set out below.
The Division has responsibility for:
- Developing and promoting innovation, research and development policy, leading cross Governmental coordination with particular emphasis on implementing Innovation 2020, the cross Governmental strategy for research and development, science and technology.
- Contributing to the delivery of effective foreign direct investment (FDI) policy in Ireland by working with the IDA and other Government Departments to ensure the Agency’s strategies are implemented as effectively and efficiently as possible.
- A very significant part of Enterprise Ireland’s mandate, namely, research and innovation supports for enterprise, connecting enterprise to academic research, commercialisation of research from Higher Education Institutes and High Potential Start-Up companies. These supports are aimed at driving exports and creating jobs.
- Science Foundation Ireland and its mandate to support excellent research in areas impacting the competitiveness of enterprise. The Division also has responsibility for the Programme for Research in Third Level Institutions administered by the HEA.
- North/South issues and InterTrade Ireland, involving responsibilities for enterprise, innovation and research at all-island level.
- Intellectual Property policy and administration, to ensure Ireland delivers a world class IP management service. This mandate includes the Intellectual Property Office of Ireland in Kilkenny.
- Leading at EU level for all Departments on research and innovation including Horizon 2020/FP9.
Assistant Secretary: Dermot Mulligan
Units of Innovation and Investment Division
Innovation, Research and Development
- Innovation, Research and Development Policy
- Knowledge Transfer/ Finances
- Industry Research, Development & Innovation/ Space Policy
- Science Foundation Ireland Liaison
- EU/International Innovation, Research and Development
- Trademarks and Industrial Designs
Inward Investment & North South
- IDA Ireland Liaison
- EU Tariff Suspension Scheme
Main contact points