What are import controls? Do I need a licence?
What are import controls?
There are 3 types of control:
- bans – where no import is allowed
- quotas - where the volume of imports of goods is restricted
- surveillance – where the import of goods is monitored with licences
Do I need an import licence?
The need for an import licence is determined by EU legislation and by the international sanctions regime.
You will need an import licence from this Department where you are importing:
- Textiles from North Korea
- Iron and/or steel from countries other than EU Member States, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway
- Aluminium from countries other than EU Member States, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway
- Wood from Russia