Background information and guidance on applying for aluminium surveillance licences.
EU ALUMINIUM PRIOR SURVEILLANCE IMPORT LICENSING REGIME, Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2018/640 of 25 April 2018 introducing prior Union surveillance of imports of certain aluminium products originating in certain third countries.
- The European Commission has introduced a “Prior Surveillance” import licensing regime to monitor imports of certain aluminium products into the European Union. Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2018/640 was published on 26th April 2018.
- You will need an import licence to import any steel products falling to the commodity codes listed in Annex I arriving for Customs clearance into Ireland or the EU on or after 12th May 2018.
- You do not need a prior surveillance import licence if:
a. your products have a net weight of less than 2500 kilograms (2.5 metric tonnes), or
b. your products were made in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway, or
c. your products are imported into Ireland or the EU before 12th May 2018, or
d. your products are not entered into free circulation but into a Customs relief scheme (e.g. customs warehousing, temporary import or Inward Processing Relief - If the products are subsequently entered into free circulation a licence is required).
Applying for an aluminium prior surveillance import licence
- There is no charge for the issuing of licences. Applications must be made on the relevant application form. The required information should be typed onto the form and a scanned / .PDF copy of the completed and signed form must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will need to provide:
a. Product description / trade name,
b. TARIC code,
c. product volume in kilos,
d. product value in euros on a CIF (Cost plus Insurance plus Freight to the EU border) basis,
e. where the products were made,
f. where the products were shipped from.
- You will also need to provide a copy of your pro-forma invoice or your sales/purchase contract. The Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation may require additional information on the proposed transaction and will contact you directly if that is the case. An application can be made for a licence covering more than one proposed import from the same exporter.
- Please consult the Tariff Classification Unit of the Revenue Commissioners at 067 63370 / 1890 62 63 64 or at email@example.com if you are uncertain of which Tariff Code to use.
Prior surveillance licence validity
- For administrative convenience an application for an import licence can be made in any Member State and shall be valid throughout the Union.
- Licences will have a four month validity which may be renewed for a further four months if not fully used. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org should you wish to renew your licence. Your licence remains valid, and does not require amendment, if the unit price and/or net weight of the import is within the 5% tolerance.
- Where an import licence is required this should be reflected on the relevant SAD. “I004” is the Box 44.1 Code to reflect a “surveillance document issued by the competent authorities of a Member State valid throughout the EU”. The import licence number should be provided at Box 44.2.
Please send any further enquiries to: email@example.com
Please see our FAQ document which should answer most of your questions on current Aluminium licensing requirements.
This document is for information purposes only and has no force in law. Please note that where legal advice is required, you should make your own arrangements.
ANNEX I: TABLE SHOWING COVERAGE OF PRIOR SURVEILLANCE REGIME
|7601||Unwrought aluminium, Aluminium, not alloyed, Aluminium alloys,|
|7604 ||Aluminium bars, rods and profiles, Of aluminium alloys:|
|7605 ||Aluminium wire: of aluminium, not alloyed of which the maximum cross-sectional dimension exceeds 7mm|
|7606||Aluminium plates, sheets and strip, of a thickness exceeding 0,2mm: Rectangular (including square)|
|7607|| Aluminium foil (whether or not printed or backed with paper, paperboard, plastics or similar backing materials) of a thickness (excluding any backing) not exceeding 0,2mm|
|7608 ||Aluminium tubes and pipes|
|7609||Aluminium tube or pipe fittings (for example, couplings, elbows, sleeves)|