Local Enterprise Offices
The Local Enterprise Offices (LEOs) are the ‘first-stop-shop’ for providing advice and guidance in relation to a range of business issues, including financial matters, to the micro and small business sector. They also provide ‘soft’ supports in the form of training and mentoring to anyone wishing to start or grow a business and financial assistance to micro-enterprises that meet certain criteria. Among their range of services, the LEOs:
- Provide focused training courses on a range of topics, including on financial issues such as financial planning (pricing, costing) book-keeping and taxation, etc., and more intensive Start Your Own Business and management development programmes, which also incorporate financial elements.
- Arrange mentoring supports tailored to meet the specific needs of your business, for example, financial planning, business strategy, etc.
- Can offer direct grant aid to microenterprises (10 employees or fewer) in the manufacturing and internationally traded services sector
- Operate a “signposting” service in relation to all relevant State supports available through Agencies such as Revenue, MicroFinance Ireland and the Credit Review Office.
Details of the full range of LEO supports and the location of your local Office are available on localenterprise.ie.
InterTrade Ireland is a cross-border trade and business development body funded by the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation and the Department for the Economy. It offers a Funding Advisory Service.
InterTrade Ireland also offers practical and informative pages on Funding for Growth and Business Angel Finance.
Microfinance Ireland’s site offers expert advice on cash flow management for small business and funding your own Irish start-up on its Advice Centre.
Short videos and other resources
The Kauffman Founders School
The Kauffman Founders School has a series of informative videos on essential financial literacy for entrepreneurs, titled The Art of Start-up Finance. These are all available free of charge.
Topics covered include:
- The Start-up Finance Pyramid
- Financial Foundations
- Financial Processes
- Financial Budgeting
- Financial Monitoring
These will help you to both start and maintain your business.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
MIT’s OpenCourseWare (OCW) is a web-based publication collating virtually all of MIT’s course content. It offers a free and open collection of material from thousands of MIT courses. Each OCW course includes a syllabus, instructional material, and learning activities (such as assignments or exams). Many of the courses feature video lectures, free online textbooks, and faculty teaching insights.
Those interested will find that MIT’s Entrepreneurship courses include a course in Entrepreneurial Finance.
SME Online Support Tool
There are over 170 different Government supports for Irish start-ups and small businesses.
By answering the eight quick questions in the Online Tool, a small business will, in one location be able to:
- Find out which of the over 170 Government business supports from 27 different Government Departments, Agencies and Initiatives are available to them;
- Obtain information on the range of Government supports for accessing credit;
- Be told their nearest Local Enterprise Office to discuss the outcomes of the guide further, and;
- Be able to download all these filtered results into a document for their further use.
The tool is available at: www.supportingsmes.ie
You may also be interested in our mapping initiative of both State and non-State supports for entrepreneurs.